The Sunshine State Young Readers Award (SSYRA) book list is developed each year utilizing input from experienced committees of media specialists from throughout Florida. The books on this list may not be appropriate for all students. Some books may include main characters navigating mature teen and/or adult situations. Stories represent various genres, formats, reading levels, viewpoints, and ethnic/cultural perspectives, while exploring sensitive issues. Therefore, it is imperative that concerned parents/guardians play an active role in their child’s reading selection by previewing the titles to ensure an enriching and exciting reading experience.
The SSYRA Program
- Interested students will be added to an SSYRA Course in Schoology.
- Read an SSYRA book (Hard cover or eBook)
- Take a 25 point Schoology quiz on the book and score over 60% (2 attempts, scores averaged).
- Earn a Schoology badge for that book!
- Try to collect all 15 badges!
District Battle of the Books
The District Middle School Battle will be virtual and occur on Friday, March 4, 2022 from 8:00-11:00am.
Battle of the Books Rules for 21-22
- The format for Battle of the Books is from Battle Questions and is in the style of In Which Book Questions using the Socrative software, (Socrative.com), this has been used in past years.
- Each school is allowed one team of up to 5 players and 2 alternates7 members. No substitutions are allowed during the competition.
- Alternates/Additional team members can watch the competition but should not participate on the day of the tournament. They should not provide clues or add to the discussion, even between rounds.
- You may elect a student timekeeper to keep track of the time you have to complete the quiz. A timer is not provided during this virtual competition. Any questions not answered before time expires will be marked as incorrect and may not be challenged or answered after time is called.
- Each round includes 15 book questions from Battle Questions and is in the style of In Which Book Questions and will last for 10 minutes.
- Adults should read each quote aloud when it appears on the screen. Please ensure you are reading using the same rules used during standardized testing. Do not use inflections, facial expressions, or provide clues to help the team. Adults may read the quote twice.
- Following the team discussion, the team captain will share the answer with the adult to enter in Socrative. Adults may not provide clues or change the answer the team captain provides.