Absences From School:
FCMS does not accept phone calls or e-mails from parents as notification of absence.
If a student is unable to attend school, upon returning, the parent/guardian must complete an online attendance form (see below) or submit a handwritten note within 48 hours of the student returning to school.
Hand-written notes must include:
- Students Full Legal Name
- Day(s) Absent
- Reason for absence or Early dismissal/release
- Legal Parent / Guardian Signature
- Parent / Guardian current phone number
· Absences are excused (with a note) for the following reasons:
– Illness of student
– Serious illness or death of immediate family member
– Medical or dental appointments for student
– Recognized religious holidays
· Some absences are not excused (even with a note) if they do not fall within the guidelines of the SJCSD’s attendance policy. The following types of absences are NOT excused:
– Sports competitions that are not an FCMS-sponsored team
– Any other type of competition or performance not related to FCMS
– “Take your child to work” days
– Family emergencies/family matters are not automatically excused and are considered on a case-by-case basis – please provide information on your note.
Tardy to School:
Parents do not need to personally bring students that are late into the school. Simply drop your student off and make sure you see them enter the front door. The students sign themselves in at the Front Office. Please provide a parent note or doctor note for the student to submit upon check-in.
Parent or designee must come into the front office and present a valid ID. Only designees listed on the student’s emergency contact list will be allowed to remove a student from school. Students will not be called out of class until person picking up the student is in the front office and presents a valid ID.
· Please note:
Students must be checked out before 1:20 (12:20 on Wednesdays) so plan your student’s appointments accordingly.
A note must be provided upon return to school and even if a student has gone to the school clinic and is released by the school nurse.
· You may contact your student’s teachers through Schoology
to alert them that your student will be absent, however this does not excuse
· Students and parents should reach out to the
teacher first if you believe the teacher marked an absence in error.
· Students are only allotted 15 absences (excused or unexcused). ALL absences after the 15th absence (excused or unexcused) can only be excused with a doctor’s note. Parent notes will no longer be able to excuse further absences, including for late check-in or early check-out. The school district will send out notification if your student reaches the 15-day total absences threshold.
· Please note that if a student misses 3 or more periods in a school day, it is counted as a full-day absence.
· Attendance is considered for many school trips/events. Please stay on top of your student’s attendance through HAC.